Total Pageviews

Friday, March 25, 2011

The Beat Assassin Project

So i am currently working with quite a few producers and they are expecting some good stuff. Well, you see the misery of the Hip Hop producer when he gives his/her beat to an Emcee is that sometimes the emcee never delivers you know? And its very dissapointing becuasce the Emcee gets the producer all hyped up and sometimes never delivers the goods. Sometimes this makes some producers get kind of mean or "touchy" about their beats and they develop a bit of a resentment toward emcee's.. Its true.
Well thats how it is in 2011 anyway, but thats not too different from 20 years ago during the transition from The light age of Hip Hop (1980-1990) to the golden age of Hip Hop (1990-2000) when the emcee's left their DJ's/turntablists to pursue contracts with corporations creating "hip-hop".. As Teacha' says man, Once the Golden Era hit, Graffiti, Breakdancing and Turntablin' no longer were seen as relevant means of expressing Hip Hop in Mainstream America; Rapping was now solely the relevant definition of what it meant to be a Hiphoppa... (to the naked eye) so alot of emcee's sold out and left their DJ's.
But im rambling, my Beat Assassin project is a series of mixtapes produced by these randomly fantastic people I stumble across. Its almost an apology on behalf of emcee's because it really is all about the beats. Well thats the way im going to present the tapes anyway. In doing this project I hope to bridge at least MY connection back to the DJ's/Producers and open up a new chamber in my HipHop growth process.
Well thats the goal. But I need a deadline for each project because I have these producers well... kind of fucked up. Especially my good friend Quality, who I like to refer to as Johnny Boy Wonder. We've been working on his tape for 2 months now and havent really gotten anything solid laid down. And he deserves this tape done by the end of April.
Also CVS the abstract, who caught my ear by way of youtube, we connected through facebook and I've written 3, 4 or 5 songs to his and havent gotten the recordings done just yet. He got me up on Reverbnation by the way.
I know im kind of going all over the place but do you want to know what my ultimate tape would be? Flying Lotus... Man... I wish I could meet this guy just once you know? I admit I cannot grasp the magnitude of his ambitions but the music speaks to me. And I kinda... dream of being on his label. Well first things first right? Gotta get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment