Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Bitter taste of TC

This is a text conversation I had with local poet Sol. Bad grammar and all. But, im going to write it from end to beginning:
"what I'm being honest did you talk to her about writing a song already?"
Which was a reply to: "Goodnight sol"
which I wrote as a conclusion to the conversation when she writes: "oh ok um she's really busy tho her and kristy are starting a progea for youth and you don't have much money to pay her to feat."
Because I said: "oh ive been wanting to contact her because we met last monday at that Voices Merging Banquet. But my computer is down so I cant access the matrix."
Which I wrote in response to: " Um how that sounds like a question for her"
She says, because I asked: I have a song I want to write with her. Can you help me?"
Which is true. I had been writing the song earlier today. So I was ecstatic to her saying: yea dats my girl! she also did yo da movement and she's a dope community organizer."

And all I did was ask her: "have you met a vocalist named Alicia Steele?"

This motherfucker passive-aggressively just told me that I was too broke and not worth the time to make a song with this Alicia Steele.. Really?
I probably shoudlnt let it register on an emotional level though, because Sol doesnt have the best credibility with me, let alone other local artists I've talked to.
I was hesitant to write the entry in this way because I realized its now read regularly by people in the cities, so I've been writing up to this point with that in mind. But, that only made me bite my tongue and stopped me from writing how "I" like to write.. But we're here now aint we?
Some people may know Sol as a local poet/activist or whatever but to me, she's... just my ex-girlfriend. We dated a couple summers ago; Broke up. I broke up with her. She was just full of poetic, well-spoken shit to me. And it stunk like a rec-center full of rotting, decomposed heart cavities [In my spoken-word voice].

Are all poets like this? Was she just being honest? Because I sense malice in her for-your-information responses.. I also noticed though, that there is a bit of rivalry between poets and emcee's out here. Yeah, poets vs. emcees. Can you believe that shit?
I noticed it once when I went to this Open Mic at Artist Quarter in St. Paul. It was all spoken-word performances... And Guante, both a poet and emcee, told me later that night that venues like this usually frown upon emcee's that get on their stages and spit bars. So I wonder if her tone lacked respect because Im this "lowly" emcee trying to write a song with her vocalist associate...? Or an envious ex-girlfriend? A little taken aback that her ex-boyfriend that she couldnt get back with, is asking her about another woman?

Things like this always make me wonder what romance is like in the local music scene? One artist meeting another and dating him/her? Is it the same as your typical highschool sweetheart romance or meeting a person at a club on sheer chemistry? Is it strict or awkward? Like meeting a pretty woman at the office and asking her to dinner? Is it cute? Like finding your soulmate in college and studying together? Or is the Artist/Musicians romance different from all these?
Is it cruel and unusual? I wonder if people like these just fuck whoever they want whenever they want without concience... Get married and divorce four months later like in hollywood. Are these the kind of people passive-aggressively jumping from heart to the next preaching poetic-psychobabble to justfy hurt feelings? Or is this love very sunny and wonderful...? I'll probably find out soon enough.

I guess certain people are going to be pretty annoying. Best to just kill em' with kindness. But im just not gonna conversate (not a word) with Sol anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment